Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The other right...

I know, I am way behind on stories of the trip to Germany. We'll get to those later, after The Company stops abusing me. But I'll start this story in Germany...

One of my fellow Fellows, a Director from D.C. named Bob Golombic, was telling the group that over the years he had learned that most photogs, during live broadcasts, lose all sense of direction. He often tells photographers to "pan right," and then, as the photog is moving left, calmly says "the other right, please."

Two weeks later, I'm following The Tea Party Express across Nevada as they begin their tour of the U.S. before the midterm elections. This trip started with 4am live shots Monday morning in Reno, then driving Monday afternoon/night to another rally four and a half hours away in Elko. Then 4am live shots Tuesday morning, and a drive to Ely (200 miles, in theory) and La Vegas (another 440 miles) and rallies in both cities.

Leaving Elko yesterday, I consulted Google maps on my blackberry--drive 42 miles on I-80 to Wells and exit toward Ely.

So I turned onto the freeway, and about 50 miles later realized I had not seen the exit for Ely.
I turned around, thinking I had just missed it.

No Ely exit.

So I pull over and double-check my directions. And I can't figure out how I am this lost. Then I realize that I was supposed to turn RIGHT to get on the freeway.

I have gone the other right. I am 50 miles in the wrong direction. I need to do my best Kevin Harvick impersonation to meet the three Tea Party busses in Ely. Three and a half hours into a drive that was supposed to take two and a half hours I drive up on the tiny town of Ely, and I see a 25 mph speed limit sign and a Nevada Highway Patrol car. But I stopped speeding an hour ago, so I'm not worried. But before I even get by him, he hits his lights, then drives  behind me. I pull over, he comes to my window and asked why I'm going so fast. "I didn't think I was going too fast. I saw the 25 mph sign and was slowing down."

"There is a 35 miles per hour sign before that. You were doing 45."

Time to play stupid (pretty easy for me at this point). "Well, I'm more than a little lost, and I didn't see that sign. But I did know I was coming up on a town and needed to slow down, and was slowing down."

Mr. Trooper wanted to know why I was in Ely--I'm guessing he could see the gear in the back of the car, even if he didn't know which company I work for. "Actually, I'm hoping you can help me with that. I'm supposed to meet the Tea Party busses, and I don't know where the rally is. Do you know?"

He laughed. "It's a small town. Drive four blocks and you'll see the park. And you've got plenty of time. The busses are stuck behind some road construction traffic. I'll just give you a warning about the speed. Drive safely."

By the way, North Central Nevada is awesome. A beautiful drive. Not many places to stop, but the scenery is outstanding. But I didn't have any time for pictures. You'll just have to take my word for it. Trust me, just like the Nevada Highway Patrolman did.

No comments:

Post a Comment